5 Simple Steps to Organize Your Whole Life

Get organized quickly and simply

Getting organized may seem like a daunting task, but when it is broken down into smaller steps, organization is one of the greatest things you can do for yourself. Organizing your life (yes I’m talking total over haul) will relieve stress, make you more productive, save money, and is simple to keep up with once you get it all together. If you’re thinking I’m crazy, then consider this:

For every minute spent organizing, an hour is earned. – Benjamin Franklin

The idea of organizing your entire life may seem incredibly overwhelming, but here’s what you need to know to make it easier:1. Take it one step at a time. Start with one area of your life, one room in your house, or even one area of a room (like your desk). Don’t try to do everything at once. It will be mind-boggling, and if you’re anything like me, you will get half-way through pulling everything apart and stop because it’s too much.

2. Make a plan. Set a time and date of when this part (remember, not all at once) of the overhaul will happen. I don’t recommend choosing “right now.” You want to be prepared for this. Some things, areas, aspects will be easier than others.

3. Do some research. Go to google and search organization of ___________ (insert what you’re cleaning up). You’ll probably end up on someone’s blog, which is a great tool because it’s not just a picture or idea — it’s organization in practice and will probably come with step by step instructions and photos to follow.

Also, check out Pinterest. It is full of ideas for organization and storage for EVERY aspect of life. Here’s a link to my organization board with ideas I use myself, that may be helpful to you. Pinterest is my #1 site for inspiration, dupes for high end products (keepin’ it budget friendly), and even DIY projects to help you get organized (or for anything really). Pinterest has it all.

4.Buy garbage bags. Be prepared to toss some things. I make a donation pile for items that can be taken to a Goodwill, Salvation Army, or other donation site. I’m not a huge fan of perfectly good items going to waste! My rule of thumb though is if I haven’t used it, worn it, needed it in the past year, put it in the toss/donate pile for the time being. You can review this pile later to determine what you want to donate, toss, or maybe up-cycle and reuse before you actually take out the trash.

5. Do it! Take your chosen day, your plan, your research, and put it into action. Clean, and purge your desk, bathroom, closet, pantry, etc. until you accomplish your goal. Mark it off your list. Sit back, admire your hard work, and repeat for the next room or area to be organized.

I recommend starting with a planner to keep track of dates, times, appointments, organization, goals, meetings, hobbies, routines, etc.
Coming Soon: I will be posting my personal planner, how I use it, and other planner options that are available and fun.

How do you get organized? What’s your favorite thing to organize?

I live and die by my planner. It is my favorite organizational tool. It keeps me on track for due dates, meetings, places I need to be, wishlists, goals, etc. I also enjoy a good rummage through my closet and makeup to take inventory!

13 Comments

1. August 23, 2016 / 9:11 pm

Writing things down is definitely key for me getting anything done!

2. August 24, 2016 / 8:41 am

Hey, great post! I do the same: I couldn’t live without writing and then crossing off everything on my planner.

• August 24, 2016 / 12:24 pm

What kind of planner do you use? I think I’m December/January I might take on a bullet journal!

• August 24, 2016 / 12:55 pm

Sam here. I’ve been using a weekly moleskine since like 5 years ago but I’m always adding extra pages so I was thinking about giving bullet journal a try with the beginning of the new year. I’m just a bit worried that it will be too much work, like designing every week’s layout but I love the idea so much and I want to at least try it.

• August 24, 2016 / 5:02 pm

I have the same fears too, no worries. The main reason I was thinking of waiting was because I don’t be a student after January. I will be working full time, and going to the gym, and managing my blog so I figured it would be less stressful (maybe a bad word— intimidating?) to make one then. Also, I have a planner that runs through December.

• August 25, 2016 / 2:54 am

The main reason I’m waiting it’s just because I like my planners to start with the new year and I already have one that runs through december too. Also, I thought about ditching it because I really like how many things you can write on the bullet journal, but I really can’t start one now that’s almost September, I feel like that’s absurd 😀 Bullet journaling is more work for sure if you’re still in school, but for what I’ve seen bullet journal can also be great for that because you can monitor your progress and maybe make a different calendar for school related things and such. I was thinking about buying the journal in december so I will have some extra time to start doing the layout and I won’t have to do everything in january.

• August 25, 2016 / 9:20 am

Dude. That’s the smartest thing I’ve heard all day! I’m already researching what kind I want and what kind of markers/pens I want

• August 25, 2016 / 10:32 am

Which kind do you think you’ll get? I’m thinking about a squared one and I want a moleskine because I’ve been buying their journals and other things for so long but I’m not sure because I’m afraid the multiple colors I already know I’ll be using will tear through the pages. I still have some time to do some research 🙂 and for pens I really don’t need to buy new ones and I want to use what I already have but I’m not sure I can make it hahah

3. August 27, 2016 / 11:16 am

This post just gave me inspiration to get organized before school starts!
    lifetoldbytulla.wordpress.com

• August 27, 2016 / 12:42 pm

Good luck! I’m two weeks in and still trying to get it together!!!