Everyone knows drugstores are the best places to shop for makeup because they are cheaper than grocery stores, Ulta, Sephora, and even Target or Walmart. Yes, high end stores and big retailers are still very useful and have their benefits, but here’s my top 5 reasons for why I personally prefer to shop at drugstores such as CVS and Walgreens over other retailers when it comes to makeup.
- COUPONS & SALES- CVS accepts coupons that are sent out in mailers, newspaper ads, from the internet and other places, and they will combine them with both their in-store coupons and sales. This can sometimes cut the price in half or make the item free. Yes, that’s another thing — they always have sales and promotions running. Sephora does run a sale a few times each year, but it is only usually offering 10 or 20 percent off of purchases. Most of the time Ulta has coupons available or sales running, but it excludes the high end brands and somehow the brand that I’m usually shopping for. I find it incredibly frustrating.
- REWARDS PROGRAM – CVS has an amazing rewards program that I don’t think many other stores can rival with. I’m sure other drugstores offer similar ones, too, but I just always go to CVS. They offer $5.00 once you get a certain number of prescriptions filled (I think it’s like 10 or 20), another $5.00 once you spend X number of dollars (usually $15 or so) on a theme of items (beauty or staple items like allergy meds, bandaids, vitamins), and always have promotions for X number of rewards dollars for spending $10.oo on shampoo or toothpaste or for buy 3 makeup products, etc. I share our rewards account with my parents and some of our prescriptions are free so we get rewards really quick! They also mail out 25 percent off coupons to us regularly and email me weekly with either 20 or 30 percent off online purchases. They even throw in free shipping at least once a month. It’s great because you can get household items, snacks, and other medicinal and health products shipped to you free and on discount. I almost never pay full price for an item at CVS.
- GREAT SELECTION- Drugstores have an amazing selection of items. Specifically speaking of beauty, they always have the newest products being manufactured and sold by companies, great color selections on items like foundations and nail polishes, and a wide variety of items for all needs from each company they sell. Drugstore brands have been improving the quality of their products over recent years and are still offering them at their wallet-pleasing prices. I always find an item fitting my needs at the drugstore.
- TRY NEW THINGS WITHOUT OVER SPENDING – This is one of the best reasons. Whenever I want to try a new brand or type of foundation, concealer, or eyeliner… I ALWAYS go to the drugstore. You’re not going to spend over $20 on any one item that has the potential of causing a break out. Makeup is supposed to be fun, so this is encouraging when you want to try something new that a company has just come out with. Which brings me to my last point that some people may be unaware of….
- RETURN POLICY – CVS has a 100% money back guarantee. Yes, you read that correctly! If you don’t like a product you can return it opened or unopened with your receipt (if you don’t have it, they can look it up on your rewards card) and they will refund you the full purchase price of the item. That’s it. It’s that simple. I’ve done it before and the lady was very nice and understanding. There was no judgement- some employees give dirty looks and make you feel guilty about returning something that made you breakout, and it can be upsetting.
As I said above, I still love trips to Ulta, Target, Sephora, Walmart, and even high end makeup counters at the mall, but drugstores definitely take the cake. They have great sales, coupons, rewards programs, selection of products, and a return policy that allows for a 100% refund on any product that you don’t like. Drugstores are budget friendly and have become my go to for makeup recently.
What reasons do you shop at drugstores? Did I miss any important ones? Let me know of your drugstore shopping experiences in the comments!